The Regency Men's Shirt Masterpost


"the marvellous Boy / The sleepless Soul that perished in his pride."

This month's Historic Sew Monthly challenge is "Literature" - so I've chosen Thomas Chatterton's shirt, as modeled so romantically in the Death of Chatterton painting by Victorian Henry Wallis. Chatterton was a rather minor poet, who wrote faux-Medieval poetry, and is most famous for killing himself aged 17. This was, retrospectively, seen as a supremely romantic act of poetry - hence that ridiculous painting - rather than a sad end or a result of poverty or ill health. I've wanted to do the regency menswear for a while, and I'm picking it as my first project because it's easy, and I can complete it in the time remaining this month. A shapeless garment, without much fit to speak of. I'm making a couple of adjustments to better fit my body, as "standard male measurements" are going to be too large for me.

This shirt is good for decades - throughout the 1700s (Chatterton died 1770) and as far as 1815 (i.e. it's good for Austen), and maybe even a touch later?

Resources

I'm drafting my own pattern based on this deviantart pattern:
Shirts of this era were made of linen - specifically lawn, or for more active pursuits, cambric:
Shirt collars were starched. Frills on the cuffs is OK for the 1700s, but is old-fashioned by the 1800s.

I'm using a couple of sew-alongs for help:
Shirts of this kind continued to be worn by working men well into the Victorian period:

Good history articles:
Example photos include:

Comments

Popular Posts